[Course] Project 1: Hello World

Great to have you here! We're happy that you're interested in learning more about Alexa Skill and Google Action development. In this course, we're going to use the Jovo Framework to build a very simple voice application and learn the basics of Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant along the way. Let's do this.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.jovo.tech/courses/project-1-hello-world

This tutorial worked great and I was able to get both Amazon and Google (almost) working in under 1 hour.

However there are 2 issues I had with it.

1) Testing from DialogFlow did not work for me.

I can see that the webhook is working as expected and the request is coming to my local machine. However, it has the following output in the terminal:

Error -----------------------------------------------------------------

Code:
  ERR_NO_MATCHING_PLATFORM

Stack:
  Error: Can't handle request object.
      at App.handle (/Users/dustinbahr/Developer/Jovo/HelloWorld/node_modules/jovo-core/src/BaseApp.ts:197:23)
      at <anonymous>
      at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:188:7)

Module:
  jovo-core

Hint:
  Please add an integration that handles that type of request.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

2) I wish the tutorial would go one step further and describe how to test out the Action on an actual Google Home (or other) device.

Jovo is my first experience with voice apps at all, and the rest of the tutorial was geared very much toward beginners, which was great! But not being able to see it actually work on a real device was disappointing.

I should also mention that when I tested through the Actions on Google simulator everything worked as intended. Testing within the DialogFlow console is what failed.

After a little poking around, I determined that I could give the Action an invocation name in Actions on Google under Setup > Invocation. Then, using that name, I could already use the Action on my Google Home that is logged into the same Google account.

hi, i cant find Google under Setup > Invocation :confused:
my endpoint work for alexa body only, the google body request return Can’t handle request object.

i ran into the same problem. Alexa working fine, but google action not.
… any update on this?

Is there any update on this??
I am getting the same error “Can’t handle request object” when I use the dialogflow console?

Have you found a solution yet?

the documentation is insufficient and the forum seams dead to me. we droped the testflight with jovo. :frowning:

hi @ThomasEcherer, we’re currently working on updating the basic tutorials.

we also have a lot of videos online that should be helpful:

This usually happens when you did not add the Google Assistant (or Google Dialogflow) integration in your app.js.
Try adding:

const { GoogleAssistant } = require(‘jovo-platform-googleassistant’);
and
app.use(new GoogleAssistant());

there and this should work.

Dialogflow is:
const { DialogFlow } = require(‘jovo-platform-dialogflow’);
and
app.use(new DialogFlow());

In the step Connect your Agent to a Google Action, I first click on Integrations, then on “Not ready yet? Continue with the integration”, which I am guessing/hoping is equivalent to the old “Actions on Google” integration. It gives me a pop-up that looks correct, anyway.

You then tell us: Click “Manage Assistant App”:

When I do so, google tells me

Did I botch something, or do the instructions need a rewrite?

(I’d really like Jovo to work cross-platform… but I don’t absolutely need Google yet, if something weird is going on.)

This sometimes happens when user are logged into multiple Google accounts. In the Actions console, could you try switching the account? If you don’t have multiple accounts, does the project show up in the console? https://console.actions.google.com/

By the way, if you don’t want to use Dialogflow, you can also use this new integration: