Self-inflicted wounds: Remind me how to get "jovo deploy" talking to the Amazon Alexa config?

I had this working fine, then apparently stepped on something – and, being an idiot, I don’t think I have backups/notes to let me revert to the previous state.

Current behavior is

C:\Users\keshlam\jovo\new-sounds-on-demand>jovo deploy --platform=alexaSkill

jovo deploy: Deploys the project to the voice platform.
   >> Learn more: https://jovo.tech/docs/cli/deploy

> Deploying Alexa Skill
    × Creating Alexa Skill project
      Deploying Interaction Model, waiting for build
      Enabling skill for testing
 »   Error: There was a problem:
 »
 »   [ERR] smapiCreateSkill:Server cannot process the request due to a client
 »   error.
 »
 »   Module:   jovo-cli-platform-alexa
 »

C:\Users\keshlam\jovo\new-sounds-on-demand>

I presume that the problem is related to my having renamed the Alexa skill, and that I need to get new keys/credentials so Deploy can correctly upload the files.

But I’m having trouble digging out the directions for how I set that up in the first place. I don’t think it was just the brief instructions in the podcast-player tutorial; I think I had to reference another page somewhere to find out what values to copy, from where in Amazon, to where in my Jovo project.

Help?

Note: When I try to do a Jovo deploy on the stock podcast player example, it tells me

> Deploying Alexa Skill
     × Updating Alexa Skill project
       Deploying Interaction Model, waiting for build
       Enabling skill for testing
  »   Error: There was a problem:
  »
  »   [ERR] smapiUpdateSkill:The resource being requested is not found.
  »
  »   Module:   jovo-cli-platform-alexa
  »

Did one of the recent NPM or Jovo update passes break something, or is there manual setup required that I’m forgetting?

(I suspect I’m doing each step of Alexa/Google development interaction just infrequently enough that I’m forgetting necessary details – and the Jovo doc is still somewhat sketchy in that area. Frustrating!)

Wiping out the platforms directory, running a new jovo build, and then trying jovo deploy again seems to have gotten me past that error.

A better message might have gotten me to try that MUCH sooner and with less frustration.

Please, folks: New features are cool, but it’s time to put some effort into making the code more robust and the docs more complete. If it wasn’t for the fact that I’m still faking it in Javascript I’d be inclined to look for ways to help make that happen…

Fully agree! We’ve been working hard the past months on making Jovo better with Jovo v4. The goal of this new version is to make developing Jovo apps more consistent and powerful. It includes both a major rewrite of the framework and the CLI.

This is why the v3 docs haven’t gotten much love recently. We’re close to launching this publicly, but you can already take a look at the new docs here: https://v4.jovo.tech/docs/getting-started

I’ll try to make time to do a technical proofread of the draft

It’s alredy in beta and working! Feel free to play around if you find the time :slight_smile: no rush

This has come up a number of times already, the problem here was that since we use the ASK CLI under the hood and are thus dependent on that, we have to adapt to their internal changes. In the past they changed the structure of their error output, which we didn’t notice fast enough. It has already been fixed, but not released yet, but coming soon!

But as @jan already said, it’s already available in v4, along with much better code and documentation, so you might as well try that out.

It’d be Really Helpful if the v4 documentation included advice on how to migrate our v3 code to v4… and included migrated versions of the sample code for us to compare with the previous samples. (I’m not seeing either in my first look at the new docs; the link you gave is only for the conceptual overview sequence, Intro/Concepts/Configuration/Workflows/Output/Properties/Lifecycle/Integrations.)

Related: That doc mentions “the respective platform integration’s documentation”, but doesn’t provide a link thereunto. We sorta need that part of the documentation for Jovo to fulfill its promise of multiplatform development…

Working on the migration guide! I think the best place to start right now is to go through the getting started guide and then the key concepts that are mentioned there, especially components, handlers, and output.

The platform documentations can be found in the marketplace, here’s an example: https://v4.jovo.tech/marketplace/platform-alexa