Problem with calls to Firebase Storage within Jovo lambda function

Hello,

I’ve been developing a few skills for both Alexa and Google Home using the Jovo framework. However, I have encountered a problem that I just cannot seem to solve. We have a set of audio files (MP3) in Google’s Firebase storage and I’d like to access them and play them in an audio player. I was able to get this working and everything seemed fine…until I tried to run the code in a lambda function. When the model executes in a lambda function, it never returns - the lambda function times out. No matter how high I set the lambda timeout, it still gets stuck. Here is a simple example which demonstrates the problem:

async LAUNCH() {
    firebase.initializeApp(firebaseConfig);
    const storageFiles = firebase.storage().ref().child('EN');
    const storageFile = storageFiles.child('1.mp3');
    const url = await storageFile.getDownloadURL();
    console.log(`My URL: ${url}`);
    this.tell(`Ok, done with getting the URL`);
  },

When I look in cloud storage I can see a good URL printed out and I can see the SSML string constructed. However, I never hear the message and I get a timeout error.

Any thoughts?

I also posted this on stackoverflow here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/59322763/how-do-i-exit-a-lambda-function-that-has-a-call-to-firebase-storage

Hello! I’m a noobie looking for answers, too. Although I have a ton of experience in programming. OK so awesome what you’re doin’. Are you using Docker? I read that you need to use Docker in order to do this with AWS Lambda. Here’s an article that says “You need to have docker installed.” I can’t find the original forum source that convinced me of that topic. Maybe that will help you. Source: https://medium.com/@samstern_58566/how-to-use-cloud-firestore-on-aws-lambda-4bf6d3a473d9

Adding to what I said, actually, I’ve successfully done what you are trying to do for Alexa Voice, but I actually used environment variables and a dropbox folder. It was a few lines of code and very simple to get the mp3s playing on Alexa. If that helps, too. Good luck!!

Thanks Tony. In a previous version of this skill, I was able to get the MP3 files from an AWS S3 bucket and get them playing on Alexa. However, we have developed a corresponding App for iPhone/Android that stores all the MP3s in Google Firebase - so I have to use that storage if at all possible. There just seems to be something strange with using the Google GetDownloadURL() call within a Lambda function within Jovo. I am not using docker - I’m not sure why that would be necessary, but I will look at the article you posted. Thanks again for helping to look at this issue with me.

No problem!

Is it possible that you’re using an escape key instead of a single quote and that is why it’s breaking after printing the URL? If the URL prints it would make sense:

this.tell('Ok, done with getting the URL');

No, unfortunately, I don’t think the string passed to tell is the problem. I reduced the code to what I’ve listed below, and it still does not return from the Lambda function. I’m beginning to consider hosting on Google instead of AWS:

async LAUNCH() {
    firebase.initializeApp(firebaseConfig);
    const storageFiles = firebase.storage().ref().child('EN');
    const storageFile = storageFiles.child('1.mp3');
    const url = await storageFile.getDownloadURL();
  },

I also tried installing the node modules with docker, but I still had the same issue with the Lambda function timing out. As long as the getDownloadURL() method is in there, it hangs up Lambda. If I comment that line out, the function exits as expected.

Another quick data point: I changed the hosting to Google Cloud (isn’t it great that Jovo makes that so easy?) and my program works fine. However, I still would love to figure out why I cannot use Firebase storage with Lambda, since all of my other Skills are hosted in AWS.

Maybe this is a just a case of Amazon and Google not playing nice with each other…

Ok, I believe I have found the solution. I had to modify the index.js within Jovo to look like this:

// AWS Lambda
exports.handler = async (event, context, callback) => {
    **context.callbackWaitsForEmptyEventLoop = false;**
    await app.handle(new Lambda(event, context, callback));
};

The important line is the one setting callbackWaitsForEmptyEventLoop to false. This changes the default behavior of Lambda and closes the connection that is opened with the getDownloadURL call.

Once I made this change I was able to successfully run the Skill and access audio files from Firestore.